Wednesday, January 27
Recent paid work:
- How To Protect SSH With Fail2ban on CentOS 7
- How To Upgrade to PHP 7 on CentOS 7
- How To Upgrade to PHP 7 on Ubuntu 14.04
- How To Secure Your CoreOS Cluster with TLS/SSL and Firewall Rules
- Package Management Basics: apt, yum, dnf, pkg
The Fail2ban one is derivative of Justin Ellingwood’s How To Protect SSH with Fail2Ban on Ubuntu 14.04.
I would pretty strongly discourage anyone not super comfortable with the gritty details from upgrading any production servers to PHP 7 as of just yet, though it looks like a really valuable release.
I read stuff by a ton of people while writing the CoreOS one. I think that, at least at the exact moment of publication, it may actually have been the most complete and tested guide to the subject reachable from Google. That’s not because it’s great. It’s just that it would be difficult to overstate how much work the CoreOS documentation and error reporting needs around the security stuff. I’d like to say I might do some of that work, but realistically I’m not a domain expert and it is way down my list.
While I’m at it, a list of tutorials I’ve done for Adafruit:
- Running Programs Automatically on Your Tiny Computer (sysvinit, systemd)
- Using Zapier with Adafruit IO
- A NeoPixel Blinkendisc
- A Sillier Mousetrap (mouse data)
- Kali Linux on the Raspberry Pi with the PiTFT
- Using an External Drive as a Raspberry Pi Root Filesystem
- RasPipe: A Raspberry Pi Pipeline Viewer, Part 1
- RasPipe: A Raspberry Pi Pipeline Viewer, Part 2
- A Quick Linux VM on Windows with Vagrant
- An Illustrated Guide to Shell Magic: Typing Less & Doing More
- An Illustrated Guide to Shell Magic: Standard I/O & Redirection
- A DigitalOcean droplet in 10 minutes
- An Illustrated Shell Command Primer
- What is the Command Line?
- What is this "Linux", anyhow?
And code I touched:
- Adafruit-Pi-Kernel-o-Matic - mostly Todd’s work
- adafruit-raspberrypi-linux - I can’t kernel to save my life
- Adafruit-Pi-ExternalRoot-Helper - you may actually want this if you have a Pi
- Adafruit-Occi - I should find out if this still works
- Adafruit-MouseLogger - I hate you, mice
- Adafruit-RasPipe - pretty dumb, to be honest
None of this is exactly a work for the ages, and some of it was current for about five minutes total after publication. Still, I’m not entirely unhappy with the little penguin comix.